This actually got set up a little while ago, but it's got a description of the game, downloadable links for all the final builds, AND a gameplay video. You can check it out at https://lukehut.itch.io/spacefight.
It's 2 because I forgot to upload iteration 1 (although the only change there was the minimap, which you also get here).
Other things that have changed:
- Ships now start at least 20% away from the edges of the map, instead of being able to spawn right at the corner and instantly die.
- A sound plays when you score a hit on the other ship
- Controller axis now have deadzones, so that movement feels a little better (I hope).
- There's a pause screen! Start/space to pause. Start/space to unpause. I hope this was not surprising.
The UI still looks pretty bad, but I'll get back to that later.
It sort of feels like reaching the end of a very long tunnel, but this is a build of spacefight that's feature complete. I added keyboard controls, as well as a way for you to select whether you were playing one player or two player. There are a lot of parts of the UI that could use polish, but - I've got something I can get people to play and give feedback on now.
It's been a while! This build has a functioning afterburner, as well as turrets that will try to help the other player take you out (right now they just shoot at whatever is closest to them and looks like a ship).
All the old bugs are still there, and it's becoming pretty clear that I need to rework some of the UI and make it clearer that the screens are split; there used to be a black divider line, but that appears to have gotten lost in the transition to a black background. More work to do, there.
I've made a lot of progress on Spacefight, so it seemed like time to do up another build (it looks drastically different from the build before). While I haven't had time to add any props to give you more to focus on than the other player and there's a really ugly UI, it's still much different from before. Here's everything I can think of that's changed:
1. The background stars are now colorful.
2. The background now has parallax.
3. Another weapon has been added (you can swap weapons with the triangle button)
4. Screen dimensions changed so that the play area is square for both players.
5. Ships are a little smaller now (maybe too small?)
6. Really bad programmer UI (only some of it works - more will come).
7. Players are now randomly placed, instead of being directly diagonal from each other.
8. The compass is a lot worse.
9. There is no ninth thing.
10. Bullets now properly come from the center of your ship, instead of being offset to the right.
11. Ships now have health and don't die instantly when they get hit (this is important for some of the props I have in mind).
1. The machine gun sounds like a lawnmower.
2. There is a noticeable slow-down when the garbage collector kicks in.
3. The afterburner part of the UI does nothing!
4. There is no out-of-bounds notification; you can fly out of bounds and then the background gets very boring.
This weekend I bit the bullet and learned how to build my games on windows.
Why? Because the first, earliest, prototypicalest pass of the game is DONE, and ready for testing. You'll need:
1) At least one controller (ideally two).
2) A willing friend, if playing with two controllers.
1) Left stick, to rotate ship
2) Right trigger to accelerate
3) Right bumper to shoot